Dr.Samuel Hahnemann is considered to be the Father of Homeopathy. Dr.Samuel graduated from medical school in 1779 and started his own medical practice. He first started experimenting with homeopathy in 1790.
His students later founded the first homeopathic medical school in the United States in the late 1800’s. It gained recognition because of its success in treating many disease epidemics such as scarlet fever, typhoid, cholera and yellow fever.
Homeopathy is an alternative medical practice using the smallest possible amount of an active ingredient in order to help treat or cure a disease.
Homeopathic medicine comes from a wide range of natural substances, which can be either plant, mineral or animal based. A homeopathic doctor may treat the patient by using fresh or dried herbs, activated charcoal, garlic, crushed bees, white arsenic etc. All these minerals and herbs are processed in another way to create tablets, skin ointments, gels, drops or Homeopathy is completely different from conventional medicine as it treats on a patient’s emotions and personality. The stress levels, relationships, personal characteristics and family are taken into consideration before prescription of any medicines.
In addition to interviewing the patient, lab tests are also carried out to learn about a patient’s condition. However, researchers and practitioners of modern medicine say that the homeopathy medicines are diluted with water and incapable of having any effects. Practitioners of homeopathy counter them saying that these remedies have been used for centuries and decades of anecdotal evidence shows that many patients see an improvement in their symptoms after receiving homeopathic medicines.
Practitioners of modern medicine dislike homeopathy because it is inherent in the homeopathic approach that there is a sharp critique on use of conventional drugs.
Benefits of Homeopathic medicines:
- Homeopathy is beneficial in treating acute and chronic health conditions. It has a solution for most problems which are labelled ‘incurable’ in other systems of medicine.
- Homeopathic medicines are in the form sweet sugar pills and easy to take. This is easy for kids to consume them.
- Homeopathy medicines and treatment are relatively inexpensive, when compared to allopathic drugs.
- Homeopathic diagnostic procedure is relatively hassle free and does not involve time consuming tests and suitable for all age groups.
- This treatment helps in healing immediate problem leading to overall health improvement.
- It is non toxic and has no side effects
- Homeopathy has also got very good results from PROM’s (Patient Reported Outcome Measures), a practice wherein patients themselves report how much better they feel after undergoing Homeopathic treatment.
A recent study undertaken by principal investigator Michelle Dosset, from the Harvard’s School of Public Health suggests potential public health benefits such as sreductions in unnecessary antibiotic usage, reductions in costs to treat certain respiratory diseases, improvements in peri menopausal depression and improved health outcomes in chronically ill individuals.
The Faculty of Homeopathy in England has about 800 members who are fully qualified medical doctors, nurses, pharmacists, veterinary surgeons and other healthcare professions who have many years of combined clinical experience and regulated by respective professional bodies.